Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Great Picture Books on Differences

I did not begin this blog attempting to go through the alphabet.  However, I realized today that my first few posts were A, B, and C.  So for now I will carry on in alphabetical order.

Where to even begin on this topic?  There is so much wonderful literature focusing on differences. The variations are staggering, but the overlying message is the same: different is good, just be who you are and be proud.  This is very important to me as a mother.  

I want my kids to be who they are - I only want to help them become good, kind people.  My girl loves pink and everything princess - me being a tomboy from a young age, this has been difficult to handle.  But I embrace her for who she is.  My boy is not into trucks and dinosaurs, like most boys.  If it involves music and dance - he loves it.  I went to see the Broadway musical Spiderman Turn Off the Dark and brought home the soundtrack.  He suddenly loves Spiderman.  My husband and I love him all the more for this.

Embrace the differences.  I would love for my children to grow up knowing how meaningful this is.


Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk
(see also my page Best Book & Learning App's - this is available in a mobile version)
We love this book (and the app). No one wants to attend Miss Spider's Tea Party as they are scared that Miss Spider is going to eat them. But Miss Spider may not be what they assume.




Woolbur by Leslie Helakoski, illustrated by Lee Harper

I Like Myself!  by Karen Beaumont, illustrated by David Catrow

Be yourself, love yourself.  It's okay to be different as long as you are true to yourself.

The Skin You Live In by Michael Tyler, illustrated by David Lee Csicsko



Spoon by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Scott Magoon


Spork  by Kyo Maclear, illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault

Great companion books that can teach children about utensils and differences at the same time.  Both are adorable books with very nice messages.


Our favorite author has two fabulous books about making new friends and accepting that they are different: 
Swim, Little Wombat, Swim! by Charles Fuge
It's a Monster Party! by Tasha Pym, illustrated by Charles Fuge


Other notable books dealing with differences and individuality:
A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
Zero by Kathryn Otoshi
Freckleface Strawberry by Julianne Moore, illustrated by LeUyen Pham
Suki the Very Loud Bunny by Carmela & Steven D'Amico
Beautiful Blackbird by Ashley Bryan
"Slowly, slowly, slowly," said the sloth by Eric Carle
My Princess Boy: a Mom's Story About a Young Boy Who Loves to Dress Up by Cheryl Kilodavis, illustrated by Suzanne DeSimone

We love new books at our house - if you love any other literature on this topic, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment