Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Great Picture Books for Eating

There are two very picky eaters living in my house. One will eat just about any vegetable that we put in front of him(his favorites are brussels sprouts and asparagus!), but no meat. The other will eat no vegetables and only some meat. We spend a lot of time trying to hide vegetables in sauces and trying new things in hopes that we will finally find something that they like.

It really must just be a phase that nearly every child must pass through. I was just such a child and now I will eat anything - o
ctopus, pigeon, kangaroo.  All of the difficulty that I gave my parents I am surely experiencing now with my own.  I don't think that we can change them or force them to eat anything.  All we can ask is that they try everything put before them.  

These books have been terribly helpful in teaching our children about food.  That it doesn't just appear on the table.  That other kids are picky, too.  That it is okay to not like something.  But everything is always worth a try, or maybe a few!


Books for Picky Eaters:

The Seven Silly Eaters by MaryAnn Hoberman, illustrated by Marla Frazee
This beautifully illustrated book is an excellent example to teach children to appreciate their food and not be rude.

Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Lillian Hoban
My parents used this book on me when I was a child.  I would only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, just like Frances. I'm not sure that this book changed everything, but it sure helped!


I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato by Lauren Child

Little Pea by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Jen Corace


Eat Your Peas, Ivy Louise by Leo Landry
The perfect book for kids and parents.  A very familiar scenario for many!



Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
A classic that deals with not wanting to try something.  It is really quite silly, so be sure to discuss what is going on.  I think my kids get so taken with Dr. Seuss' goofiness, sometimes they can miss the moral of the story.




Books to Teach About Food:

Eating the Alphabet: Fruits & Vegetables from A to Z by Lois Ehlert
This is an excellent book to introduce a lot of produce to your kids.  We receive a 20 week vegetable share from a local farm.  Our children have learned a lot from the produce we bring into our home, but this book helped put much of it in a perspective that they can enjoy.

Pancakes, Pancakes by Eric Carle
Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie de Paola
Two terrific choices on a familiar staple written by fantastic authors.  Paola's book is wordless, which is always fun for little ones to "read" on their own.


Some cool classics related to our topic of food:


Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett, illustrated by Ronald Barrett

Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss


We love new books at our house - if you love any other literature on this topic, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment