Monday, July 16, 2012

Great Picture Books for Anger

This was the first topic that I got really serious about. I went to the library and got every book available. I didn't know what else to do. I had a 2+ year old that didn't know how to express his anger and didn't want to listen to Mom or Dad. So we tried books. And they were lifesavers!

We don't know if one particular book did the trick because we read so many, but I think they all help in a small way. It gave Greysen (and now we're reading them again with Camden) some words to express what he was feeling.
How Are You Peeling? by Saxton Freymann continues to be one of our favorite books about feelings.  It is fun and the kids love to talk about how they think the fruits and vegetables are feeling.


Other great books dealing with anger:

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Finn Throws a Fit by David Elliott, illustrated by Timothy Basil Ering


Mad at Mommy by Komako Sakai

No Biting by Karen Katz (0r No Hitting by Karen Katz)

Mouse Was Mad by Linda Urban, illustrated by Henry Cole

When Sophie Gets Angry - Really, Really Angry by Molly Bang

Sometimes I'm Bombaloo by Rachel Vail, illustrated by Yumi Heo

I'm So Mad! by Robie H. Harris, Nicole Hollander

When I'm Feeling Angry by Tracey Moroney

Also a series and author/illustrator that we adore, An Elephant and Piggie Book by Mo Willems, has a lot of books dealing subtly and humorously with feelings. The following titles are most closely related to the topic of anger:

I Am Going
or
I Love My New Toy!



Or a great book illustrated by Charles Fuge -  Trumpet: the little elephant with a big temper by Clarke, Jane.
These books are all great, but the best thing they do is spur a dialogue between you and your child.  Talking about what you read is the most important part of reading with a child. 

Here is my daughter, Camden, reviewing some of these books:




We love new books at our house!  If you love any other literature on this topic, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment